Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Under the Light of the Gas Station

Under the light of the gas station Gary smoked cigarettes and told jokes. I was his audience.

So this guy goes into a Doctor’s office. He’s got a dot about the size of a quarter on his forehead.

The man says “Doc. I got this dot on my head. What is it?”

The Doctor takes one look at it and goes “Oh, boy. Now I’ve only read about this medical journals. I ain’t never actually seen it but you’ve got a penis growing out of your forehead.”


“A penis? Coming out of my forehead? Are you sure?”

“Quite sure. It will grow to full size in about 6 weeks”

“Well, can’t you cut if off?"

“I can’t cut it off or you’ll die. It’s attached to your brain”

“So, doc. You’re telling me that in 6 weeks I will get up every morning and see a full grown penis coming out of my forehead?”

And the doctor goes “Oh. No, no. You won’t see anything. The balls will cover your eyes.

Gary laughs hard and I follow suit.

“That’s a good joke”

It was dusk.

“You want something to eat?” he asks me.

“Aw, no. I’m good”

“You sure? It’s a long drive to Redding and I ain’t stopping once we get on the road”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll probably just sleep mostly”

A young woman exits from her car and passes by me on her way inside. She is very attractive and Gary notices me staring at her.

“Pretty girl”. He smiles.

“Red hair in a ponytail”, I say, “it always turns my head”

“But how many times you see them girls looking back at you?” Gary laughs.

I laugh with him.

Under the light of the gas station Gary continues to smoke cigarettes.

No comments: